Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Knicks of Labor = )

Here is a picture of my wedding band.... the back of it actually. I found myself staring at it Tuesday morning while sitting in the dentist chair.



It is quite fascinating how much we are like our wedding bands; strong, solid, beautiful to look at. When we turn it over we see the knicks, dings, smudges of our labor; labor in marriage, labor with children, labor as a wife and a mother. Happy labor, sad labor, sufferring labor- all work done through our physical hands, through our hands of faith. All of the things that go around and around and around.
We forget what is beautiful, what is pure; the diamond in our heart's rough: Jesus.

I have been going to my same dentist for 15 years now, love her! We always talk about God and our families and your normal day conversation of how things are going.
In the fifteen years I have known this person, I never knew that she was facing her own battle. Many many years of knicks and smudges encompass her wedding band- the journey with a husband who was diagnosed with MS who's health is steadily declining. I listened to her story, her journey, her transformation, her fears, her praises, their beautiful children. A journey I could not quite come to grips with.

Right then I realized how selfish I could be sometimes and how powerful God is ALL the time. What usually took 30 minutes to clean my teeth; now took an hour because I was totally in love with God working on my character through my relationship with this wonderful person.
I knew right then that I didn't do my due diligence to my husband or my God by really praying for my husband; I mean praying for him thoroughly, from his head to his feet.
I had to immediately look for something, find something, a tool, an outline-- I needed some serious "how to pray for your husband" help :)

I remembered this book a friend of mine shared with me; been lazily telling myself that I would read it soon. The book is called "Becoming the Woman of His Dreams" by Sharon Jaynes. I have a couple of her other books and they are very good reads as well.

Before ordering the book, I did read the first chapter and wanted to print it off as a "go to" every day. If you are struggling with what to pray for or what to say, read the first chapter of this book on how to pray for your husband from his head to his feet. I pray for a lot of these things, but some things were new and very good. You can get to the portion of the book through this link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Woman-His-Dreams-Qualities/dp/0736913513/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371746667&sr=1-1&keywords=becoming+the+woman+of+his+dreams#reader_0736913513


Just a little tid bit for you today :) Happy praying ladies!

Lisa Schipansky

1 comment:

  1. you amaze me... such an inspiration. God calls people into our lives for special reasons and I truly feel like our "by chance" trail run for your wedding day turned into a long time bond that I look forward to every time you come in :)

    ReplyDelete